Mardi Gras in Mobile, AL
If you live outside of the area, you may not understand what Mardi Gras is. It's a pretty big deal here in Mobile, AL. This page is set aside for it.
Two definitions before we begin. By "order", I mean the "krewe" or social organization that has the parade. By "throws", I mean items tossed at parade goers by float riders. Typically, these are beads, coins, cups and Moon Pies. While I catch those, I also catch some odd ones too. I haven't found elsewhere on the web listing strange mardi gras throws. The items listed below are broken down by the item caught, the order I caught it from (if I recalled) and the year caught.
- An America Online installation (AOL) cd-rom.- MAGMA - 2006. Cheap....
- Bag of hard plastic toy tropical fish. Made in malaysia. This was pretty interesting. These didn't float and are made of hard plastic - 2007
- Beaded Curtain. Plastic, designed to go over a doorway. The $5 price tag still on it said it came from Dollar General. - 2007
- Capri Sun. An aluminum foiled sugar water ballon as it were. -2007
- Christmas Cards. I didn't catch these, however, the Mobile press register had a line in an article about this. - 2007
- Ramen Noodles. -2007
- Sam's choice water. 1/2 liter size. While I appreciate the float rider's concern about dehydration, this could have hurt somebody. -2007
- Small paper bag of salted peanuts still in the shell. Tasty! - 2007 (2008 update: Apparently, these aren't so uncommon. Fine by me.)
- Valentine's Day candy. As Fat Tuesday was on Feb. 20, 2007, this was kind of cheap. I also heard about Halloween candy being throwed. That's wrong.
- Unidentified child's toy pictured below. I'm guessing an orange octopus. No label as to where it was made. It lights up when shaken. Neptunes Daughters - 2008
- Lit up:
- Bag of "Lucky Coins". Green plastic coins - Mystics of Time - 2010
Until next year...
Text, images and content © fireshadow.net